Full through Dovetails

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BillK

Re: Full through Dovetails

Post by BillK »

Well hopefully the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts, lol.

Here's a few more parts, the wing hinge parts and one handle. This job of mine is definitely getting in the way of my carving time.
image.jpg
Just want to add that the USA handle is a complex part as it is both angled and curved. Aspire and your CNC Shark can take you places.
Handle
Handle
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

BillK

Post by BillK »

Here is a shot of the handles installed in the side panels. Nothing is glued or stained yet, just dry fit. I created a little pocket under the handles with Aspire. The hinges are cut as can be seen, next I need to drill the hole through the two halves for the rod. I have a nice patriotic top designed that I need to carve. The hinges will be epoxied to the top and back.
image.jpg
I hope I'm not being a bore by sharing this project in process. Thought it would be good for newbees to Aspire to see. If you think I should stop, just let me know, lol.
BillK

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Bill,

I know what your talking about your job getting in the way of carving. I have the same problem with lot of overtime. But the money comes in handy to buy more toys and wood, so it's a trade off. In a couple yrs I'll be retired, can't wait.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

BillK

Post by BillK »

Hi there. Time for another update. Well, between a lot of other things that I'm working on, I got to work on this box project again a little. Just worked on the wing hinges. You can see them now assembled here. They will eventually be epoxied in place. Next I'll apply some finish. The hinge pin is a 3/16 diameter brass tube I picked for a $1.45 at my local hardware store. Cuts easily. After installation, I put a tapered nail set inside each end and apply a few hammer taps which flares the tube ends.
image.jpg
Here's another fine use for your shark: On the first set of hinges, I had trouble lining them up and the hole went off center. So I thought great, I have a plug cutter set, I'll just glue some plugs in and re drill. Well the smallest cutter I had was 1/4, the hole was 3/16. So I draw (3) 3/16 circles in aspire, program a profile cut, and in about 35 seconds I have 3 perfectly sized plugs to glue in place. So you have a plug cutter for any size hole. I cut them about .4 deep in a 1/2 stock, then free them with a bandsaw cut.

Until next time.
BillK

Danwood

Post by Danwood »

Hi Billk, I like your dovetail posting. In it you show a Router Mount Extension. I have searched this forum to find the mount. I have had no luck.
Could you please tell me where I can find details on how to make this extension.
Danwood

BillK

Post by BillK »

Hi Danwood,

I have the Shark Pro plus which I've had for more than 2 years. I designed the router mount extension by removing the router and clamp and measuring the large router hole and the mounting holes. I made mine out of HDPE 3/4" thick. The Shark Pro Plus only uses the smaller palm routers such as the Bosch Colt. You probably have a newer machine so my design won't fit your machine. Also the pro plus has a straight up down gantry. The newer machines have an angled back gantry so I'm not sure if this set up will work on those machines as the reach may be too far to get to the end of the table.

If you click on my Facebook link below, I've posted a short video of the extension in action carving a bowl edge.
BillK

Ronwoodson2

Post by Ronwoodson2 »

After seeming Billk's design,I did the same with a different approach with my Mako. I contacted Sam at Dixie Billets and had him make an extension for my router mount. Because of the weight and torque to the gantry, I use the Palm Colt on the extended mount. The mount is made from aluminum, and I must say it works extremely well for a most reasonable price. Sam does a great job with his mounts.
Ron Woodson
Somerset ,Ky
Ronwoodson2@aol.com

BillK

Post by BillK »

Ah, finally, glad to see some else was inspired to try this! It does work great, and I can change over to the extension now in about 15 minutes.

The original use for the extension can be found here http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2618. Still doing both. Getting quite a collection of home made fixtures.
BillK

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Ronwoodson2 wrote:After seeming Billk's design,I did the same with a different approach with my Mako. I contacted Sam at Dixie Billets and had him make an extension for my router mount. Because of the weight and torque to the gantry, I use the Palm Colt on the extended mount. The mount is made from aluminum, and I must say it works extremely well for a most reasonable price. Sam does a great job with his mounts.
Hi Ron,

I also have a Mako Shark HD and would like to add an extension for a Bosch Colt that sounds similar to what you have done. I assume that you remove the normal large router (Porter Cable 892?) and the plastic part that attaches to the vacuum and brush, if you have one of these. You then replace these with an extension made by Sam that holds the Colt. Do you use a special clamp to hold the Colt onto this extension? I didn't see a picture of your setup so I am only guessing. How long is your extension?

Also, I really like Sam's workmanship. He made a clamp that holds my Porter Cable 892 and it works perfectly!!

Thank you,
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

BillK wrote:Here you go Bob. Hope this doesn't make your head spin as much as your router does.
Dovetails.pdf
Thank you, Bill, for posting this. Very nicely done. I intend to give this a try on my Mako Shark. It looks like the Colt is a terrific choice at about 3 pounds once I remove the Porter Cable 892. The vertical supports on the Mako sweep backward and this will add somewhat to the length of the extension. Let's see how much flex that I get in the system after adding the Colt.

Best regards,
Ed