Bob's Super Simple 4th Axis

Share your Shark projects with other forum members!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Forum rules
Do not post any files that violate copyright or licensing guidelines. Any post violating this rule will be deleted and the member may be banned from future use of cncsharktalk.
ltlbull

Re: Bob's Super Simple 4th Axis

Post by ltlbull »

EdThorne wrote:
ruhnau wrote:Ed
FYI The tap file can be opened in notepad. You just have to specify all files in the type of file drop down menu, and then specify the location of your .tap file.
Thank you. I have looked at these files and I can see gantry posiitonal info and other structures that don't mean much to me yet. I will learn this as I go along. I really enjoy the learning process and I am always impressed with the software, hardware and the thought process that has gone into creating this system.

Tim at NWA and Vectric have done a splendid job!!!
This is not from NWA or Vectric.......We are still waiting on Tim at NWA for the official rotary!

Of course now, maybe we don't have to wait........

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

This design doesn't require remounting the router. It appears to comes on and off the bed quickly. If it doesn't then perhaps that's the next "feature" to improve upon. It doesn't require a larger table to mount a lathe on. Perhaps this could be licensed and sold as an accessory through Rockler for those not understanding how or wanting to have to make their own. IMO the files should remain public domain if possible, as the latest version appears to be a compilation of many great ideas from assorted contributors.

I'd be curious how well a cut3D file would do running around a cylinder, as well as what would be involved to cut relatively straight mortises in a round workpiece. Perhaps an easy way to lock or index the gear, isolating it from the Y motion of the gantry would be useful. Then you could cut multi-faceted ( 4 or 6 or whatever) sides for table legs up to 24" long.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

ruhnau wrote:Here is the example of the baseball bat, and what is involved in modifiying the toolpaths to cut in the xz plane versus cuting in the standard xy plane. The .crv file is the profile of the bat in the standard xy plane. The baseball bat 2d.tap file is the standard toolpath file generated from the .crv file. The baseball bat 3d.txt file is the modified .tap file which changes the cutting plane from standard xy to an xz cutting plane. Within these files are explanations of what was changed. Hopefully this is enough to explain the procedure, but if more help is needed, let me know.
Just curious... Would my version of the baseball bat CRV work without any modification? I simply enlarged the plate to the circumference of the bat, then used a 90 degree raster pocket for the low area, parallel array of flute paths for the slope, and simple profile cuts running in the Y direction to cut and roundover the ends.

4D
Attachments
BaseBall Bat4D.jpg
baseball bat4D.crv
(171 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

ruhnau

Post by ruhnau »

It's a clever idea that you have in creating the CRV file for the basaball bat profile. The problem I see is that there are six tools being used to create the profile and they would all have to be combined into one file, which is not allowed. If this file can be brought into cut 3d, one tool could then be used and it may work then.

Buc

Post by Buc »

4D,
Made a slight modification to your .CRV and turned it into a STL file.

Buc
Attachments
4dbat_STL.zip
4D bat
(390.98 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
4dbat
4dbat
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

ruhnau wrote:It's a clever idea that you have in creating the CRV file for the basaball bat profile. The problem I see is that there are six tools being used to create the profile and they would all have to be combined into one file, which is not allowed. If this file can be brought into cut 3d, one tool could then be used and it may work then.
I never have any problems changing bits during a project for my Shark. Each toolpath can be saved separately and used one after the other. I'm not that familiar with Cut3D and always look for other ways to cut simple profile 3D projects using Vcarve, which when successful usually mean the project gets done much quicker on the CNC. Using the 4th axis geared setup I'd probably make a block as high as the project block's top to use to reset the Z=0 variable with each bit as I go. I teach furniture design and was just curious if there was an easier way to utilize the rig than editing G Code. We have a Shark HD 2.0 in the furniture design shop and I've been teaching all the students in the assorted classes how to use VCarve Pro.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Buc wrote:4D,
Made a slight modification to your .CRV and turned it into a STL file.

Buc
Thanks Buc. Just curious what the modification was and how you turned a CRV into an STL file.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Thinker,

Downloaded your CRV file and brought it into Aspire. Created a component by selecting your toolpaths. Then triangulated and exported as a STL.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Bob

Post by Bob »

" IMO the files should remain public domain if possible, as the latest version appears to be a compilation of many great ideas from assorted contributors. "

Rest easy, there are no plans to remove these files from the public domain. I realize my role in the development of this version of a fourth axis is minor, but I will do whatever it takes to keep the files public. Lots of ideas have been shared, and Kurt has been a leader in fabricating his own modifications to the design. All ideas are welcome and appreciated very much. This is what I had hoped for when first deciding to publish the design. The object of this exercise is to build upon an idea, and enjoy the process.
A lot of my teaching career was spent modifying work stations so that our graduating students could be competitively employed. I like to make and invent stuff!
In fact, most lessons used problem solving as a foundation.
I am a retired National Board Certified Teacher who just can't seem to stop teaching.
Enjoy,
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Sharkee207

Post by Sharkee207 »

Thank You very much Bob!